Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:08:15 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'robert@namodn.com'" <robert@namodn.com>
Subject:   RE: doing 1024x768 in X

Trinitron monitors are usually a better breed that your bog-standard
monitor, so it should be able to handle higher scan rates than you have set.
If he got it cheap then good for him.

The horrid flicker is because it is 'interlaced' at 1024x768 (your config
file says so). This means that although the monitor is updating at 87Hz, it
only does every other scan line on each pass, so your effective Vertical
refresh rate is 43Hz. :--(  Try rerunning XF86Config (or whatever it's
called) and trying some higher rates. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!, you could blow up
your monitor if you go to high. Don't blame me if it goes wrong. If you get
a screwed up display or a 'whining' noise from your monitor, either turn it
off immediately or hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to quit X.

As a guess, leave your V-Sync range at 50-90, but increase your H-Sync rate.
That's what really limits monitor performance. For example, if you want
1024x768 at 60Hz (still a bit slow), you need roughly 768x60Hz = 46kHz H
sync rate. You currently have the max H-sync at 35.5kHz.

To prove my sums work, at 1024x768 at 87Hz interlaced, the monitor only does
768/2 lines per scan, so the H-sync requirement is (768/2) * 87Hz = 33.4kHz.
This is very close to the actual 35.5kHz rate. The difference is due to the
blank lines at the top and bottom of the picture, and possibly the time
taken for the 'flyback'.

Good luck,

Jeff