Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 01:01:01 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joesh Juphland <part_lion@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install and boot on secondary master possible ?  seems not...

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:23:07PM -0700, Joesh Juphland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a machine whose primary IDE controller is blown.  Only the secondary
> works.  So, I connected my single IDe drive as the secondary master, and
> proceeded to install FreeBSD.
>
> The install went flawlessly.  I installed with the FreeBSD boot manager(the
> first choice on that screen of three boot loader choices)
>
> When I boot, I see the F1 .. Default menu.  If I wait, or if I hit enter, I
> am told:
>
> Read error
>
> I reinstalled, and this time didn't use the freeBSD boot manager.  Just the
> normal loader.  This time, after POST, it goes directly to "read error".
>
> So, what can I do to this disk to make it possible for the machine to boot
> off what I have installed on the secondary master ?  I used the fixit disk
> to mount the drive and tried to edit things in /boot, but I cannot figure
> out exactly what to change.

This is most likely a problem with your BIOS. It doesn't matter what
disk lables and boot blocks you put on your drive on the secondary
controller if the BIOS never attempts to boot it. Go into the BIOS
settings and see if there is a way to try to boot off of that
drive. If that fails, make up a boot floppy.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."