Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:15:27 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Willoughby <steve@ichips.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get PCI128 sound card to be recognized

Steve Willoughby wrote:
| I just put in a new PCI128 sound card, but am having trouble
| getting it to work.  I think I've got the right set of drivers
| enabled, but I get the following at boot time:
|
| pcm0: unknown revision 4 -- please report to cg@freebsd.org
| pcm0: <Creative CT5880-?> port 0xfcc0-0xfcff irq 15 at device 14.0 on pci0
| pcm0: ac97 codec invalid or not present (id == 0)
| device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
|
| It's currently running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE (apparently 5.0-RELEASE
| doesn't recognize its hard drives for some reason, so I couldn't
| upgrade as part of this exercise, but will try 4.7 next anyway).

Steve

The driver has been updated since 4.5R.  If you find the problem still exists
when you've updated to a more recent release, send an email to
sound@freebsd.org.  4.8R is due any minute now if you don't want the
disappointment of a new release happening after upgrading to 4.7 you might
wait just a smidgeon longer.

Cheers
- Orion