Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:03:50 +1000
From:      "Kevin Fleming" <kevin@w617.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dump performance - 4.6-RELEASE #0

I've done numerous tests with dump and different buffer sizes etc, but the
maximum speed I can read from disk is approximately 14MB/s (measured by
iostat).

cpio / tar etc can read from disk at over 30MB/s ..

Dump seems to spawn children (presumably for better IO) - is it possible to
tweak the number of children for better IO performance.

I can write to my tape unit at a sustained 25MB/s (AIT-3 on an LVD
interface), so I'm wasting tape and time.

Kevin