Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:58:28 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        spray40@epix.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re FREE?

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 05:58:38PM -0700, spray40@epix.net wrote:
> A "registration" fee or what ever you wish to call it, one in the amount
> of forty dollars is NOT free. What you are engaged in is FALSE
> ADVERTISING; individuals AND organizations have been and will be
> prosecuted for such offenses.
>
> Think about it

OK, there appears to be a lot of confusion on this point so I am going to
go through this very slowly. Stop me if you have any questions.

FreeBSD is free, as in no local tender changes hands, _IF_ you down load it
from the Internet. Go to ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE and
down load the entire directory tree. Now you have the complete distribution
of FreeBSD 2.2.6 and it only cost you the price of an FTP connection. You
will notice FreeBSD did not charge you anything. This copy is yours to do
anything you wish with. You can make and distribute as many copies as you
wish. Please, do! All you must do is retain the various copyrights and not
claim this as you own work.

What we chare $40.00 for is a 4 CD set. This is what in the computer
industry is known as "media charges". It is the cost of pressing,
packaging, and distributing the CDs. This practice dates back to, as far as
I can remember, the early 1970's. Even my 14 year old understands the
concept of media charges.

Lord only know why I answered this troll but I have heard this whine just
once too often.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses