Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:12:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strategy Routines

> This is a fault in the driver design.  Drivers should not hog the
> cpu, obviously.  Try calling tsleep() out of the driver with a very
> short timeout.

"fault" is too strong for the era this driver was written - I was
punting back to the user process for a feature I'm not
using.  The size of the transfer you want to permit will vary based
on the application, speed of hardware, etc, and I figured most
people using this would know what they were up to.

But now that FBSD is in wide use on the internet it points out a
possible DOS hole for those few systems actually using the LabPC.
Plus the questions I get about the LabPC driver via e-mail indicate
that some of our users now expect the OS to always do the right
thing.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval