Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2011 11:23:11 -0800
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: csup and build question

--3yNHWXBV/QO9xKNm

Quoth Polytropon on Saturday, 01 January 2011:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 10:38:22 -0800, Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.c=
om> wrote:
> > At the risk of confirming my reputation for asking stupid questions:
> >=20
> > If a csup only pulls files in /usr/src/sys, is it safe to assume that t=
he
> > only rebuilding steps required are to rebuild and install the kernel?  =
Or
> > is it possible that world could require a rebuild to take advantage of
> > some of those kernel changes?
>=20
> Kernel and world should ALWAYS be in sync, this means you
> should update the full /usr/src tree, not just its sys/
> subtree, as other files, located at a higher level, may
> be important (such as /usr/src/Makefile).
>=20

That wasn't my question.  I always do a full csup, but sometimes it only
pulls files in /usr/src/sys (because those are the only ones that have
changed since my last csup/build).  In that case, is a buildworld
required?

--=20
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips=