Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:28:58 -0500
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1142180138.3c4aca@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestions for an ecomomy laser printer

in message <20060307161537.GA87463@skytracker.ca>, wrote David
Banning thusly...

> I have looked at some printers that -do- print on FreeBSD, but
> many are not made any more.  Then there is the issue of
> dependability.
>
> I am looking for an economy laser printer; under $500 range and
> want dependability, and low cost per copy.

Lexmark Optra E320 (black & white laser; PCL & PS[23] emulation) or
similar should be around $200. I bought my Optra E310 in 199[98] for
$250-300; has been working fine since w/ FreeBSD (& using enscript
as input filter sometimes).

  ( Hmmm ... i just looked at Lexmark site which is missing above
  mentioned printer but there seems to be new replacements w/ lower
  prices. )

Then there are also HP laser printers in the same price range (i
suppose).

> It would be great if I could even find a -color- printer that
> prints only black most of the time, so I could use the color
> option when I need it, but that might be expecting too much.

if you find a good, cheap, (auto)duplex laser color printer, let me
know.

  - Parv