Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:55:22 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rold=E1n?= <roldanlg@yahoo.es>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: onboard sound crard on intel D915GAG

Hi Roldan,

  I have this motherboard also.  As a general rule, any motherboard that
has a PCI Express slot in it is going to have problems with FreeBSD
releases.
The 915G chipset is a PCI Express chipset.  It is a low-end "Grantsdale"
chipset.

  They are working on putting support for PCI Express into FreeBSD.
You could try booting a SNAP and see if it detects anything but I doubt
it.
I doubt that full support for PCI Express will be present in any FreeBSD
5.x release.

  The problem is that Intel has a bunch of stuff tied into the LPC I/O
bus that the 915G chip controls.  USB, Sound, serial ports, network card,
to name a few.  Sometimes - like with the USB port - it works with the
generic PCI chipset driver.  And sometimes - like with the video chipset
and
the network adapter - those drivers have extra code in them to access
those
chipsets.  For example, the 82562EZ network adapter is basically a modded
fxp() chip, and that driver was tweaked a bit to recognize it.  Actually,
your
lucky, since you have the D915GAG motherboard with the 82562EZ lan
adapter,
if you had the D915GAG motherboard with the 88EB050 "Marvel" PCI Express
ethernet adapter you would be screwed since that adapter has to be
accessed
via the PCI Express bus which isn't yet supported.  And your also really
lucky since support for the 82562EZ was just added into FreeBSD 5.3 for
the first time.

  At any rate, the sound driver that would work would probably be
snd_ich and pcm, but the problem is that since the PCI chipset is
not supported, those sound drivers cannot get at that sound chip,
even though if they could, they support it.

Ted