Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:45:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Richard A. Scheper" <scheper@toad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

    Going back the original posting in this thread, I think I've had
    something similar happen to me.

    In my case the problem was a *conflict* between getty and X.
    Specifically, I was running xdm from rc.local and it wound up
    using a vty that init would later try to start a getty on.

    When init started the getty, BANG!  The getty steals the keyboard
    and X would freeze up.

    My solution was to leave ttyv0 and ttyv1 turned off in /etc/ttys.

    I later found a second solution which also worked quite well, and
    that is to start xdm *FROM* init, via an /etc/ttys entry:

    ttyv0   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon cons25 on secure

    These two solutions solved my keyboard lockup problems.

						-Matt