Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 10:54:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Dick van den Burg <burg@is.ge.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Dick van den Burg <burg@perf.is.ge.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to add slice to existing FS

Probably you shouldn't use partition 'c'
as it's special.

do the folowing:

disklabel -e -r /dev/rsd0s4

 (or whatever the device is called)  and add an 'a' entry that is exactly
like the 'c' entry, but give it a blocksize and fragsize (use disklabel to
look at your existing partitions for examples)  (disklabel -e will put you
in whatever editor is in your $EDITOR variable)  then change fstab to
match, and you will be 'safer' you will not need to move any data or
re-newfs..
'c' is special and in my new slice code is 'left out' for various reasons
anyhow.
This proceedure is very low risk (assuming you get he correct disk :-)

julian