Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:47:06 +0200
From:      Daniel Gerzo <danger@rulez.sk>
To:        "SHands" <shands@phirebird.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: 5.4 Installation Problems on Dell GX280 - Fatal trap 12

Hello SHands,

Wednesday, June 22, 2005, 12:37:57 AM, you thinks about:

> I've had a nightmare trying to get 5.4 (also tried 5.3) to work on a
> Dell GX280 - which had exactly the same problem. In the end, I ended up
> using a serial link to get the install done and then got inetd setup so
> that I could troubleshoot over the network.

> This didn't help long term as the keyboard didn't work once I'd
> restarted after finishing the install. I stumbled on this script which
> seemed to do the trick:

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-October/022771
> .html

> I used telnet to get at rc.conf - but there probably are other better
> ways.

> It seems a shame that Dell (and other manufacturers) are phasing out old
> 'legacy' hardware like the good ol' PS/2 ports. It's just a good job
> that they didn't kill the serial port on this particular machine! (yet)

 that sux, indeed :-(

> Hope this helps,
> Stuart

 So long, I can say that I'm able to use gx280 on 5.4. I was able to
 install it from CD with usb keyboard using option 7 - boot with usb
 keyboard. No fatal trap 12. The only problem I had is that I wan't
 able to use HTT.

 (but it was my fault I think :-) and since it is considered to be
 harmful and it doesn't really boost up machine's performance, I'm
 not solving it.)

--
Best Regards,

 DanGer, ICQ: 261701668  | e-mail protecting at: http://www.2pu.net/
 http://danger.rulez.sk  | proxy list at:        http://www.proxy-web.com/
                         | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!

[ Fight Crime: Don't dial 911, shoot back!! ]