Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:37:33 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Brian Davis <stargate@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "simple" ipfw question

Brian Davis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am attempting to build a dual-homed firewall using FreeBSD 4.7
> RELEASE.  The PC is presently connected to a corporate LAN with DHCP and
> DNS servers and a broadband connection to the Internet.
>
> The outside interface (rl0) is configured as follows:
> IP address: a.b.148.62 (dynamically assigned)
> Subnet: 255.255.248.0
> Gateway: a.b.144.254
> DNS: a.b.144.1
>
> The inside interface (rl1) is configured as follows:
> IP address: 192.168.1.1
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>
> My private network consists of one workstation which is set up as
> follows:
> IP address: 192.168.1.2
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway: 192.168.168.1
> DNS: a.b.144.1
>
> When I use the "open" ruleset in /etc/rc.firewall, the workstation on my
> private network can get through the firewall to the LAN and the
> Internet.  When I switch to the "simple" ruleset, the firewall stops
> forwarding packets.  From the console, I can ping the outside and inside
> interfaces, but nothing else.  Everything looks normal in dmesg.
> Additional info upon request!

Did you tweak the /etc/rc.firewall script to insert your IP address ranges
into it? (look for the "simple" section of the script and tweak the iif,
iip, oif, oip, etc ... values)
If that doesn't help, try posting the output of 'ipfw show' to the list.
It'll make it a lot easier for folks to diagnose.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies