Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:40:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD & Windows

This is going to be a bit long, but I hope someone out there will be able
to help.

I'm a student at WashU (wustl) law.  Because I majored in comp sci in
undergrad, I somehow ended up getting this part time job here of being the
"Unix Administrator."  Whatever.  It basically means I've learned FreeBSD
on the fly while trying to go to law school.  But now it's all in danger.

Here's how our systems work around here.  We have 2 PC labs in the
building, with a total of about 50 workstations.  (They're mostly Pentium
200s.)  They run Windows 95.   We need windows because students use the
PCs to do word processing, mostly.  All of these PCs are on both our
Microsoft Windows network, and the Novel Network.  As far as I can tell,
the only purpose for the Novel network is that the two huge HP printers
in the lab are on the same network.  As I said, whatever.  The faculty
also have Win95 on the PCs in their offices, and they do a lot more with
novel.  (they have GroupWise for their e-mail, etc.).

Every student has an e-mail account on the FreeBSD box.  Which means that
to check their mail, they either dial in from home, or else they sit down
at one of the PCs in our lab, and telnet in to the server from Win95.  The
lab PCs are not password protected, and anyone in the world can use them
as long as they're sitting in front of one.  Obviously, to telnet in to
the FreeBSD machine, you need a login and password.

It has come to pass in recent months that many of the other schools at the
University have implemented restrictive policies concerning their own
computer systems.  The law school is the only school left on campus where
someone can walk in off the street, sit down at a terminal, and work away.
More importantly, they can print without restriction.  We spend hundreds
of thousands of dollars every year on printing paper and supplies, and
while a lot of it is legit, a lot of it is also people printing out ESPN
web pages.  So, what the administration wants to do is to restrict
printing, preferably to law students with accounts ONLY.  In addition,
they want to put a print quota on each student, and if a student exceeds
that quota, they will have to pay.

The way they want to do this is to switch all of the lab computers to
Windows NT, so everyone will have to sit down and log in.  Because they
have absolutely no faith in the competence of any of us students, they are
adamant that everyone should have only one user id and one password.
Their solution: get rid of FreeBSD and find some other mail solution.
They invision Student sitting down at NT, and logging in.  Then he has to
telnet to FreeBSD and log in again.  But if he changes his FreeBSD
password, his NT password won't change, and he'll get really confused
because he'll never know which password to use where, and all of our PC
Support resources will be used up in resetting people's passwords.  The
only solution, the Administration has determined, is to find a way to
seamlessly integrate the password files that NT uses with the one that
FreeBSD uses.  Failing that, FreeBSD goes and we all switch to Win NT
and/or Novel.  Apparently there's somethin called NDS which is going to
make everything nice and easy for us.

As you can tell, I completely disagree with all of this -- but hey, I
graduate in a year.  In the mean time, though, I would like to come up
with a solutiuon that will keep the FreeBSD box -- I think that having it
as a mail and web server for the students is a great idea, everything is
free, we benefit enormously, and we have great support on it.... switching
to Microsoft, I think, would be a nightmare.

So does anyone have ANY ideas??????  I'm desperate here.

Thanks,

Danny