Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:04:08 -0600
From:      "Robert M. Buckland" <buckland@btl.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dialup firewall with FreeBSD

I'm hoping someone out there can help...

I've set up a FreeBSD 4.1 machine to act as a firewall routing packets
between my internal and external network. I followed your dialup firewall
tutorial and recompiled my kernel as you suggested, adding the IPFILTER and
IPDIVERT options. I then added the firewall and natd options to my rc.conf
file. Upon boot the ipfirewall options and divert are enabled however natd
reports that it cannot find the tun0 interface - that it is not a valid
interface. I do have the -dynamic tag but pppd does not start until much
later - I have it in rc.d as "000pppd.sh" but even though it is the first
to start there this still occurs after natd has initialized. I have tried
userppp which I can get to use nat but I can't get it to autostart as
smoothly as pppd - furthermore I also would prefer to use the kernel based
firewall as this system will protect a fairly high profile company. Is
there anything I have missed? I noticed in the man pages for natd they
mentioned that it is not for dialup options.

A bit about my network setup: My connection is also a bit strange - rather
than a dialup the connection is a dedicated leased line connection between
two analog modems - I'm down here in Belize and this is the best they could
offer me. The modems are set to originate and answer respectively I simply
need to send an ATZ command to our modem to reestablish the link. The IPs
are also static. I have this working nicely with pppd - the chat script
simply sends a reset to the modem and pppd is set to persist. I then have a
crossover cable (as a perimeter network) to an internal server. That
internal server will house the company's mailserver and webserver. I
planned to have the FreeBSD box route packets from the outside to the web
and mail server on the internal network and route all Internet based
traffic from the internal network. It seemed to me like natd and ipfw were
the ideal solution. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Something I have
missed? Or somewhere you could point me? I'll appreciate any help you can
offer.

Sincerely

Robert Buckland