Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:17:18 +0000
From:      Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        sparky@cs.kun.nl, dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl
Subject:   named dailup on misspelled (local) hostname question.

Dear all,

How do I configure named to initiate a DNS query to the forwarder on
names in the form <hostname>.<domain>, but not on sole hostnames. In
other words: how do I avoid my firewall to pick up the phone and call
the University when all I did was make a type error and I typed `oriom'
instead of `orion'.

The network is an odd-ball collection of machines, with one running DNS,
and another playing firewall, dialing on demand. A machine at the
University plays forwarder for the local DNS server, through the
firewall.

Another question (while I'm at it). Could someone explain the
`check-names' entries in named.boot? I thought it might be related to my
previous question, if only I could understand the explanation in the
manual pages...

Please CC me, I`m not on the list.