Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 18:57:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID?

Howdy,

I'm having trouble deciding what to do about a hardware raid solution
here.  We are looking to move all of our production machines to raid...

I've so far tracked down two solutions that seem feasible, I'd appreciate
any comments you may have.

1 - The dpt cards.  All on one card, the 33xx series with multiple busses
seem nice.  The downside is there seems to be little ongoing support for
the cards and some people over on -stable are reporting intermittent
panics under heavy load.  And have to drop into DOS to configure or
rebuild an array seems like a kludge...

2 - Mylex DAC960-SUI.  This is a scsi-scsi device.  More expensive
($1900-ish) than the dpt, has three scsi channels, one for the host card,
two for drives.  Can be configured via a serial port or front panel
controller (it fits in a 5 1/4 drive bay).  With a hot spare, supports
auto-rebuild.  I assume the performance may be lower than dpt due to
pushing all the data through a single bus back to the host controller...

Any comments on the above solutions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com