Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 06:39:32 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPD terminal server on FreeBSD, NATD

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 01:04:56 GMT, jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly) wrote:

>I ran a another test with 2.2.2-release, a different machine, and a
>different multiport serial card.  Although I got the same result, I
>learned something new.

>So NATD seems to be causing the efficiency loss.

Whoops!  After more testing, NATD is not causing any problem.  My test
client on the second port seems to have been misconfigured, running an
untouchable piece of software which purports to be an OS.  I changed
that client to FreeBSD and the efficiency loss disappeared.

I still don't know yet if FreeBSD will scale to a 32 port terminal
server with the SIO driver and cheap multiport serial cards like the
one I use, but with no efficiency loss on 2 ports, it has some hope.

John