Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:27:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), bde@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bruce! HHHEEELLLLPPPP!

[
It's not obvious if the driver in questions registers/unregisters an
IRQ.
]

> > Bruce.. I spent quite a few hours trying to understand
> > the interrupt masking system and failed..

If you want Julian, I *think* I have a pretty good understanding of the
interrupt masking system (including a lot of 'mis-features' w/regards to
IRQ unloading/unregistering.  I have broken code which works better, but
doesn't take into account things like the net/tty/clock masks, so it
ends up locking up my system if I load/unload PCCARD drivers from my
system after a while.

> I think it's a case of unregistration being required, not masking;

Yep, and unregisteration doens't occur.

> Bruce can correct me, but I think a masked interrupt which occurs
> while masked is delivered at unmask time.  This is a scary thought,
> since it bears on the question "how do I disable an interrupt
> without potentially causing it to occur following unregistration?".

If you disable the interrupt and remove it's IRQ handler, then you'll
get a 'stray interrupt' at unmask time, which is 'handled' sort of.

Nate