Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:22:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dnelson@allantgroup.com
Cc:        chuck_tuffli@agilent.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load time module parameters?

In message: <20021106000300.GB1208@dan.emsphone.com>
            Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:
: In the last episode (Nov 05), Chuck Tuffli said:
: > I'm a newbie to FreeBSD and am wondering if there is a way to pass
: > loadable kernel modules parameters. Under Linux, if a module had
: > configurable parameters "a" and "b", you can do something like
: >
: >    insmod module.o parameters="a:10 b:5"
: >
: > I noticed that some of the drivers grabed information from the
: > "environment" using getenv_int(), but I couldn't seem to get this to
: > work. Thanks for any thoughts.
:
: You can use /usr/bin/kenv to set kernel env variables, or you can have
: your module register a dynamic sysctl variable that the user can tweak
: after the module has been loaded.  I've used the sysctl method myself
: and it works fine.

Hmmm, if you can use kenv to set variables, then you can use the
TUNABLE_FOO interface.  I didn't know that setting had been added...

Warner