Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 11:10:59 +0200
From:      Jochen Solbrig <jsolbrig@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   installworld over nfs suddenly hangs

Hello!

I have a 4.0-STABLE system and tried to upgrade a 3.3-Release system
over nfs. On the 4.0 system I completed make buildworld and exported
/usr/src and /usr/obj to the 3.3 system.

After recompiling a new kernel on the 3.3 system I did a "make installworld"
in the nfs-mounted /usr/src. After some minutes this process suddenly
stopped and I got the error "nfs server unreachable". This happened
always at different stages during the make installworld process and it
does not depend on the option for mount_nfs. I tried -s, -i, -r=1024
and -w=1024 (as suggested in the handbook). tcpdump on the xl0 interface
and ping didn't show anything, it seems that the network link is dead
after the error.

I finally did a binary upgrade to 4.0-Release and tried to "make installworld"
again. Things went worse: the installworld process stopped without any
error message and I had to do a hardware reset.

Could someone please help?

Thanks,

Jochen