Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:18:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        stevec@delanet.com (Stephen C. Comoletti)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2944uw on 3.2r

Stephen C. Comoletti wrote...
> Ok..this produced interesting results. I used the snapshot for todays date.
> DMESG output as follows:
>
> changing root device to fdda0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> da0: <SYMBIOS INF-01-00 0205> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 34652MB (70969088 512 byte sectors: 255h 63S/T 4417C)
> rootfs is 2880 Kbyte compiled in MFS
> da1 at isp0 bus 0 tatrget 0 lun 0
> da1: <DEC RZ28M    (C) DEC 1004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da1: 20.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
> Enabled
> da1: 2007MB (4110480 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 255C)
>

> What the snapshot detected as da1 is currently da0 (my boot device) in the
> system now.  Am I correct in assuming I can update to this snapshot via
> cvsup? And if so...what would I use instead of RELENG_3? or is that correct?
> Other question is why only 20MB transfer rate on a drive capable of 40 (on
> ahc0)?

Yes, you can upgrade via cvsup.  And yes, you'll want to use RELENG_3.
Since you are at 3.2-R now, I assume you won't want to go to -current.
(not if you're trying to build any sort of production box)

Of course once you cvsup RELENG_3, you'll need to do a buildworld and
installworld in addition to building a new kernel.

The reason the device is reporting a 20MB/sec transfer rate is because it
doesn't see da0 as a wide device for some reason.  I'm not sure why.
You'll want to make sure your cabling and termination are correct for that
device, that could have an impact on whether it negotiates wide or not.

If you would rather have da1 be da0, you may be able to accomplish it by
swapping the Adaptec and QLogic controllers around.  (i.e. swap slots)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org