Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 10:02:59 -0500
From:      "SF" <nagaf@rrt.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help Booting to Use OS........

Hello,
I've been searching the internet looking for some kind of  HELP  in =
finding an answer in helping me boot a Laptop that I bought on ebay that =
when I bought it I was lead to believe that it was in great working =
order and was totally ready to go on line with an OS in it and/or just =
use it ( as I wanted too, to write a book, off line).   But when I got =
it in the mail about a month ago now I found out that the Laptop I had =
bought at ebay was not as described so I again went on ebay and purchase =
a Windows 95 CD Rom OS with a boot disk.   The Laptop which does have a =
good working CD Rom and Floppy Disk Drive for it and I know they are =
good because my daughter has a Laptop here that is exactly like the one =
I bought at ebay.  OK, the problem is when I turn the Laptop on, all I =
keep getting is a message that keeps  saying;     =20
                         missing operating system=20

Every time I insert the start up boot disk,  I am able to get to a =
screen that says that it will now be installing Windows but then it =
gives me an option on the page to pick  how to install Windows;  it says =
when I am instructed remove the floppy disk and install Windows ;    =
with CD Rom  or  without CD Rom,  if I pick with CD Rom,  It tells me =
that no CD Rom was dedicated and it will now shut down.  If I pick no CD =
Rom,  it says installation can not proceed now shutting down.  I have a =
swap bay on the Laptop for the CD Rom/Floppy Disk Drive but it doesn't =
recognize it.   I thought even before I bought the Windows 95 that maybe =
I could find a way to download some kind of start up Boot Disk so I =
could just use the Linux OS or another OS like yours on the Laptop =
instead. =20
      Well I am now on the internet again with my good old faithful home =
computer and been searching for some way to get the Laptop up and =
running and to let you know that I don't really have computer knowledge =
as some people .  I have been curious about Linux and other OS and would =
like to use something other then MS on the Laptop .   I'm not sure of =
and if there is even some kind of disk I can use to boot the Laptop at =
any Web site and since I'm not really that knowledgeable on what I =
really need to get the Laptop up and running I thought it can't hurt for =
me to ask if anyone anywhere might know what I need to do and if there =
is a Boot Disk I can download to a floppy at this web site to help me =
with the Laptop and using your OS.
The Laptop is an older one but it will do me just fine for what I need =
it for,  mainly using it to just writing a book.  =20
 If anyone can HELP me in any way at all  PLEASE email me or reply here  =
as I am really in need of  some knowledge with the Laptop and since the =
person that sold it to me won't answer any of my emails anymore,  I am =
now force to search the internet for someone that has knowledge way =
beyond my knowledge of computers.  =20
Any info of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
Sue

The Laptop is a ;

     TOSHIBA     TECRA=20
     530CDT  =20
      Processor P166MMX  =20
      L2 Cache 256 KB PB  =20
      RAM 64 MB =20
      BIOS ?  =20
      Hard disk 2.0 GB  =20
      ROM CD 10x =20
      Graphics ct65555 =20
      Display  1024x768=20
      12.1 inches =20
      TFT=20
      Sound 16 bit stereo =20
      PCMCIA Intel 82365 compatible, either two type II or one type III. =
CardBus, ZV support=20
      Infrared IrDA 1.1, 4 Mbps  =20
      Modem built-in 33.6 kbps =20
      Keyboard standard 84 keys =20