Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 08:54:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      RJHERBOLD@gallua.gallaudet.edu
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   can not install FreeBsd - need help

I am trying to install FreeBSD (Walnut CDROM, January 1995 edition) on my
Gateway-2000 486 66mhz, 16mb. The hard disks are as follows:

	1 - 1 GB drive - all for DOS (drive C)
	2 - 340 MB drive - part for DOD (drive D) and rest for Linux
	3 - 340 MB drive - all for FreeBSD.

The boot diskette was built fine and it booted fine. I did what "Trouble"
script recommended about booting in FreeBSD from a drive other than the
first drive. I "fdisked" the first drive to install boot manager and then
set up the 3rd drive labels a through e with a for "/", b for swap,
c and d as defined by fdisk, e for /usr.

When I try to reboot from hard disk, I get only two lines -

	F1 - dos

	F? - default

There is no way for me to enter hd(2,a) as suggested by the "trouble" script.
I also tried using the boot diskette and manually entered hd(2,a)/kernel.
After it checks out the machine, it says it can not mount root and halted with
"panic" message.

I also tried to label the third drive first before writing the boot manager
on the first drive but this did not change anything.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Bob Herbold (RJHERBOLD@GALLUA.GALLAUDET.EDU)