Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:20:53 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Paul Procacci <pprocacci@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: lang/php72 needed

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 10:21 AM Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:

> installing the
> > >
> > > This will not work in poudriere. I'd like to have a reproducible build,
> > > if possible, not some kind of one-time hack.
> > >

> > And suddenly you introduce another condition to your original request!
>
> My original request was:
>
> "Can you recommend an (unofficial) repository with the PHP 7.2 port? I
> need it to support a legacy installation of Moodle, but would not want
> to use an outdated ports tree snapshot."
>
> I think it's quite clear that the request was about a ports tree I can
> build from. If not, sorry about that.

I did not know that there are "poudriere" unofficial repos. I thought those
were personal builds.

> [dd]
>
> > > It's strange and alarming that nobody cares in the FreeBSD world. In
> > > Linux, you can install all versions from packages.sury.org, and what's
> > > more, you can even have different versions simultaneously on one
> system.
> > >

> > Then what stops you from migrating the legacy moodle to Linux??
>
> Nothing, actually, except my long-term preference for FreeBSD.
>
> It just saddens me to see migrations from FreeBSD to Linux and never vice
> versa.

Solutions come in all forms. Inadequacies too.
So what FreeBSD cannot solve, Linux will probably solve. FreeBSD loses a
follower as Linux gains one.
In this case, though, you are taking the wrong approach - insisting on
running outdated code/
Your developer should update the code. If not, just look for the right
forum and share the problematic code and
you might get advice on how to update it.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,