Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:47:27 -0600
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        alc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC build causes panic: page already inserted

On 16 Mar 2009, at 1:01 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

> For now, can you just provide the stack trace?

As I mentioned, I am unable to do so - I have no kernel.debug.

However, I am trying to reproduce the bug again.  (It takes a while.)
Although it has not yet crashed, I noticed another unusual behavior:

Normally during my gcc builds the 1 GB of swap space is never
touched.  My main 1 GB of RAM is sufficient and there is always at
least 100 MB of free memory.

Today I saw a STATE listed when running top that I have never seen,
called "wdrain".  This happened when I saw my free memory plummet down
to only 20 MB free (out of 1 GB).  This state appears to be set in /
usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_bio.c in a routine called waitrunningbufspace().
This file also was modified March 1st.  I do not know if there is a
connection...

The last time I built gcc-4.4 was probably just before this.  (I build
gcc whenever there is a new version, within a couple of days of it
being added to ports.  There was about two weeks with no new versions
this first half of March so it has been a couple of weeks...)

I am tempted to go back to about Feb 28th kernel-wise and try the gcc
build again and see if it works or panics.

Any suggestions as to how I can help narrow this down?

Dan