Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:26:48 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH using un-privileged ports

"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> Has OpenSSH in -stable changed recently to cause it not to connect from
> a privileged port? My old firewall rules have suddenly stopped working,

I don't know exactly when, but it did change.  Actually, what changed
was that /usr/bin/ssh is no longer installed setuid to root; that
makes it unable to use privileged ports.  If you want it installed
setuid to root, set:

	ENABLE_SUID_SSH=       true

in /etc/make.conf.  That will make your next installworld install it
setuid to root.  In the meantime, you can manually change it using
`chmod 4555 /usr/bin/ssh` (or if you have an overpowered computer, you
can just do the installworld and be on the safe side :-) ).

> The only reason I really care is that it seems to be marginally safer to
> allow from any 0-1023 to any 22 than from any to any 22, but maybe I'm
> just dreaming here... :) In any case, this does seem to be at odds with

I don't think it provides any additional security.  The only time it
may help is if you think someone might want to use a computer that
isn't theirs to connect to your computer.  If the former doesn't have
ssh installed, and this person doesn't have root access to it, they
wouldn't be able to connect to you.  It helps in the sense that
someone won't have their resources abused, but it doesn't help you
directly since they can always use their own computer (or one they
have root access to).

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org