Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:16:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dalibor Sramek <dali@proxima.britcoun.cz>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Free-BSD threads & IO

Hi.

I'd like to learn Posix threads programming and I want to use Free-BSD
system for my experiments. According to 'man pthreads' I compiled libc_r.
Then I started with several multithreaded examples from Unix Net
Programming (by R.W. Stevens).
Soon I realized that compiled examples did not work as I'd expected. The
problem is that for example 'accept' call does not block and return
immediately.
I tested the same examples on Linux system and they worked fine. Although
I spent much time searching for information about threads and IO blocking
I found it neither in my books or on Internet.

So - is there any explanation for this problem and is thread support OK in
Free-BSD? I still use 2.2.1 installation.

Thanks

Dalibor Sramek
The British Council, Prague Czech Republic