Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 14:50:46 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Matthew Amelin <Matthew_Amelin@alpinecsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP client configuration (WAS : no subject)

Hello,

DHCP will by itself configure the IP address, the subnet mask and the
default gateway of your Ethernet interface.

You MUST NOT set anything by hand via ifconfig (IP address / netmask),
as DHCP will set these by itself.

The configuration of a dhcp client is quite straightforward in recent
versions of FreeBSD : the main thing to do is to remember starting the
dhclient in /etc/rc.local

anyway, there are man pages (on a 3.1-Stable machine) :
pc-mcs1:/usr/home/herbelot (382) ->apropos dhcp
dhclient-script(8) - DHCP client network configuration script
dhclient.conf(5)         - DHCP client configuration file
dhclient.leases(5)       - DHCP client lease database
dhcp-options(5)          - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol options
pc-mcs1:/usr/home/herbelot (383) ->

	TfH

PS : for more comprehensive answers, you should give the version of your
OS (output of uname -a) and the list of peripheral of your machine (cat
/var/run/dmesg.boot is ok)