Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:13:29 -0600
From:      Jay Bratcher <jayb@netjava.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change

Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support wrote:

> Mikael Karpberg wrote:
> > According to Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support:
> > I would say it's very logical to assume anyone that is running -STABLE is
> > reading the -stable mailing list. They should be more then aware about
> > the priblem by now.
>
> Why would someone ordering a CD-ROM be reading this mailing list?  (No reason
> at all, in my book, no matter what the hard core think).  I know two people
> running FreeBSD installing of CD-ROM who aren't.

Someone pointed out in another post that the CDs are not always the most
stable release, which is the best reason I can think of to track this
list if you get the CD.  After I got my 2.2.2 release and fought with
some problems there, I decided to track this list for a while.  Needless
to say, I was aware of a couple of problems with 2.2.5-release before I
even received my CD (incidentally, I have a subscription).  I also now
have a mostly complete archive of this list since right before 2.2.5
release (somewhere around 5000 - 6000 messages), and I am aware of at
least some of the differences between 2.2.5 and the upcoming 2.2.6.  As
far as I can tell, -release is only a snapshot of a code freeze on
-stable anyway.  While I don't stay current with -stable, I at least
know what to expect once I go up to 2.2.6, and have some insight into
the hazards of staying stable should I eventually take that route.
Maybe a subscription to this list should come with each CD...

Jay