Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:50:01 GMT
From:      Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE:misc/184910:bootcode not installed correctly by bsdinstall

The following reply was made to PR misc/184910; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: maxp@trystero.is, Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>, "Teske\, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:49:20 -0400

 I can confirm there is still a problem with 10RC3.

 Background:
 The X220 has a quirk/feature/bug in that it refuses to boot from a GPT
 partitioned disk if you select "legacy boot" in the BIOS.  This
 apparently is a problem for GNU/Linux users as well. So, we're stuck
 with MBR partition schemes until UEFI booting is supported.

 Here is the bsdinstall_log from an attempt to install MBR/ZFS/GELI:
 http://ftfl.ca/misc/bsdinstall_log.

 Like Max, I'm told there is no OS installed after rebooting.

 After bsdinstall finishes if I try to manually add the boot code with

 # gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr ada0
 # gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0
 # dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada1s1 count=1
 # dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada1s1a skip=1 seek=1024

 the two dd commands return operation not permitted errors even
 when setting kern.geom.debugflags=0x10.  Now after I reboot I see an
 error about not having ufs filesystems.

 If there is anything else I can test, just let me know.

 Joseph