Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:44:01 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:32:50PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> > Are these the same plans from 5 years ago?
>
> Your wise-ass comments aside, I think that there are a number of
> things which are driving us to NOT just hack-hack-hack on sysinstall
> some more and attempt to accomplish by behind-the-scenes trickery what
> should be accomplished by a proper mechanism, I.E. having all the
> fundamental building blocks be proper packages and "bin" simply a
> meta-package which depends on those packages which comprise what we
> currently consider "the bindist."
>
> Since it's also far easier to be a back-seat driver on issues like
> this than to actually assist the process, I would welcome your coding
> contributions to making this happen rather than just suggesting that
> we tangle our existing mess even further.

Well, considering everytime everyone has an idea for sysinstall, the
shouts of "Wait! Something new and better that already addresses that
is already in the works!" ring loudly from Concord.

Someone offered to actually look into doing the work (or I think even
mentioned that he did the work) previously in the thread, so I was
trying to determine how much further that should be persued. I, for one,
am about to roll out lots of machines that are carbon copies of themselves
and would like a stripped down install option.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

PS. Making pkg_* style packages using the existing bsd.prog.mk would
be really, really easy.