Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:41:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        bsdi-probleme@genua.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I mount FreeBSD ufs fs's with BSDI and vice versa ?

> Would it be a very big effort, to create something like a compatibility
> mode, that enables you to mount filesystems from other flavours of BSD ?

The FS layout policy and directory entry management policy are not
very seperable from gross hierarchical block management policy in
the current VFS implementations.

So it would be more than a little work if you attacked it directly,
and didn't want to end up with a royal kludge.

If you attacked it indirectly, by seperating policy implementation,
it would probably be about half the work, and then you'd have to
pay the other half of the work to get your changes checked in.

If you need something fast, I'd say "kludge it and label it 'KLUDGE'
in big, bold letters".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org