Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:23:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAD and CASE for Unix

> Very interesting...
>
> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >such as by allowing the creation of design patterns using UML as
>
> What does UML stand for?

Unified Modelling Language, brought to you by Grady Booch, James
Rumbaugh, Ivar Jacobson, et. al..

It allows you to model and combine design patterns in order to
be able to apply common soloutions to software engineering
problems.

> >weeds.  Purify could not perform nearly as well on Windows systems
> >because of this (and would have problems on Linux, due to NULL
>
> Does Purify only run on unix/solaris?

It runs on protected mode OSs that can be set to not map page
zero, and in which each process has a private address space that
is not non-explicitly shared with other processes.  So it's mostly
UNIX systems (SVR4 maps page zero by default following a fault
reference to to; this is a tunable, and can be disabled by
building [relinking] a new kernel).

> >Visual C++ and Visual Basic, as well as most Java IDE tools, are
> >not what I would call CASE tools, since they do not assist software
> >engineering, they only assist programming, which is something very
> >different.
>
> Thus the proliferation of good-looking poorly engineered products,
> especially for winodws.

Right.  Anyone can Mac-dink pixels until they look nice; there
is no way to tell by looking at a UI whether you have a race
car engine or a lawnmower engine under the hood.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.