Date:      Sun, 09 May 2004 19:39:29 -0400
From:      Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot fails on 4testvirus.org messages

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 18:26, Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:
> * Tim Bishop <tim@bishnet.net> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:
>
> > Sorry - a late reply to this thread.
> >
> > I maintain the f-prot port, and the definitions for it. I like to think
> > I keep the f-prot up-to-date as best I can (currently it's one minor
> > revision behind, and there's a PR waiting to sort that out).
> >
> > However, the definitions are a harder thing to solve. The f-prot guys
> > update the definitions on an almost daily basis. Should I be updating
> > the port that often? I suspect not. A better strategy would be for users
> > of the port to keep the definitions up-to-date manually.
>
> How about adding an example script to the port that fetches the updated
> signatures and that can be customized and cron(8)'ed by the administrator
> as desired? (Since I do not use these ports I do not know whether such a
> script is already supplied either by the port or by the vendor.)

I'm joining this thread late too...

There already is a script called check-updates.pl included with the
f-prot port.  It's in ${PREFIX}/f-prot/tools/check-updates.pl.  It's
mentioned in the f-prot-sig pkg-message so people can update their sigs
as often as they need to without waiting for an update in the ports
tree.  The vscan/uvscan-dat ports are the same way and include their own
script to do the same.

For f-prot and vscan a user has the option of either maintaining their
sigs via the ports tree, which is what I do since I really only need an
update during major breakouts and Tim handles that fine, or using the
update utilities provided with each virus scanning package if they need
regularly updated sigs.

Tom