Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:59:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl, eischen@vigrid.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu, shocking@prth.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: On pthreads [Was: Re: I was accepted to LokiHack '99 at Atlanta Linux Showcase]

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> >We could implement pthread_cancel rather easily (I have some crufty
> >patches lying around somewhere to do it), but it wouldn't be nearly
> >POSIX compliant.  Some non-cancellable routines would be cancellable,
> >and vice-versa I think too.
>
> We need to make a start somewhere, since no pthread_cancel makes us even
> less compliant =P

I know.  I brought this up with John Birrell and it was thought my
time would be better spent working on user over kernel thread
implementations.  If there are ports/applications that really could
use a non-POSIX compliant pthread_cancel support, then I can implement
it.  I just don't want to open a can of worms when it gets added
and doesn't work as POSIX specifies it should.

> I neither have the docs, experience nor time to be of any help save that
> I can try patches/compilations for you.
>
> I found these people in reference to libc_r whom could prove helpful or
> insightful for your endeavours:
>
> John Birrell <jb@freebsd.org>
> Peter Dufault <dufault@freebsd.org>

All my changes get reviewed and approved by JB (the MAINTAINER) :-)

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com