Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 17:10:36 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org (Gunther Schadow)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetWare / IPX routing facts and a question

> I tried you patch but still without luck. A listing of servers will
> show a server, then if you right click on it to login, it takes
> forever and all of the Windoze client hangs until finally the pop-up
> menu appears. If I then click "Login to server" it immediately knows
> that I cannot connect. I assume that on right click it has started
> searching for that server and then can't find it. After a very long
> time has passed with frequent retrials and doing other stuff, suddenly
> the login may work (but then quite likely this Revelation IPX database
> will not work anyway.)
>
> What is wrong there? Is FreeBSD simply very slow to route IPX? A bug?
> This is so strange. I go ahead and try debugging with some unix level
> tools to see whether this is a windoze problem. The routing table is
> 2227 entries long. Is that too much for FreeBSD to handle? Do I have
> to change some buffer sizes or something?

No FreeBSD is not slow to route IPX. IPX routing is done in the kernel,
just like the ip routing. It even use the same code to manage the routing
tables.

What you can do is to send a -INFO signal to IPXrouted when you have
the problem. It will then write the RIP and SAP table out to
/var/log/ipxrouted.dmp. You can then see if the entries are there. My
guess is that if you can see the server in the list, but cannot connect
to it, then you will find that there will be a SAP entry for the server,
but no routing entry for it. Why I don't know. :-) If you have lots of
disk space, you can let IPXrouted log to a file and maybe see from that
what is going wrong.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za