Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:18:26 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vmware and real disk

David diddled,

> I tried in the past to create a vmware virtual environment using a
> real disk partition but had no joy. Has anyone been able to to this
> and if so how?

The user must have write access to the device.  Check out accesses in
/compat/linux/dev

> The second part of this, if it is possible to create a
> virtual machine on a real partition is it possible to boot that
> partition/os natively as well as under a vmware instance.

generally not, at least not with full functionality.  The hardware
configuration is different for vmware and your machine--vmware provides
a specific set of "hardware" to the machine, while booting natively you
use whatever you actually have.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                  /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail