Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 16:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lee Black <jablack@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing network settings and monitor settings

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Lee Black wrote:

> 	I just installed FreeBSD before I left for college and now that I am
> down here I would like to know what files to modify in order to change
> my i.p., DNS, gateway, and all that good stuff.  I have also changed
> monitors and was wondering how to modify xwindows so that it didn't fry
> this one.  Thanks alot

For the network settings, your IP and interface are configured in
/etc/{rc.conf | sysconfig}, dependin gon your version of FreeBSD, and your
DNS info is in /etc/resolv.conf.

While you're off your network, I would disable the ifconfig for your
network card and remove the default route, if you configured one.  This
will keep some of the erroneous routes from getting in there and messing
things up.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo