Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:04:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        dk+@ua.net, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Mikael Karpberg wrote:

> According to Dmitry Kohmanyuk:
> > In article <199702172225.XAA21874@ocean.campus.luth.se> you wrote:
> [...]
> > I think that just having main repository into a normal country can be a
> > better option.  Sadly, most normal countries have poorer Internet
> > connectivity.
>
> Try scandinavia. As far as I know all the scandinavian countries have
> very good internet connectivity. Ok... Sometimes the US link is not the best,
> but then again, that is not scandinavia having a bad connection to internet.
> It's US having a bad connection to the internet. ;-)
> Meaning, if the US-Europe link sucks, it's neither sides fault, really.

That's why OpenBSD is in Canada. The links from Canada to the US are just
as fast as if I were in the US (for example, I have a T1 from rogers
network services, who have multiple T3's straight off the Chicago NAP - my
connection to the US is just as fast as any US T1..). Scandanavia is
certainly a good choice for Europe. I think Germany's net connections are
decent as well.. France's connections seem to really blow.

> And wouldn't i be better to ahve the main repository outside US, and having
> that mirrored into the machine that today is the main repository. That seems
> more logical, no?

I think that might not be a bad idea. The problem, of course, is who is
willing to donate the bandwidth aside from Walnut Creek CDROM to hold the
main freebsd distribution? I know I would have no problems donating
machine time, but I can't afford to give away too much of my bandwidth -
it's just too bloody expensive, and my profit margins are already next to
zero!

I would like to know how much bandwidth (approx.) is used by FreeBSD, so
I've cc'ed this to www@freebsd.org for an opinion.

 And have all encryption things written outside the US,
> so that it can be downloaded by everyone. As far as I understand, there's
> no problem importing encryption stuff into the US, is it? It seems to me
> that moving the main repository would be the easiest and most logical
> solution, since we could add all the encryption we wanted, then, without
> any problems.

Well, something I'm certainly willing to do is provide development account
on a machine here in Canada - I'm checking into the laws in detail right
now, but it might be a way for the crypto stuff to not be of US origin,
which would make it exportable... (mail me privately with PGP to discuss
this matter further).

-Mark

>   /Mikael

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
	"I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity."
						Cicero (106-43 B.C.)