Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:47:01 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        frank2@fjl.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undelete files in msdosfs

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:28:53 +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> I wrote something to do this a long time back, but I doubt I can find
> the source quickly. The easiest way would be to download a forensic
> live-CD like DEFT, which includes Undelete 360. Possibly over-kill but
> it's handy to have one around. Most of these forensic tools use a GUI.

Or UBCD, if I remember correctly. It also offers some of those
tools, usually the text-mode variants (not CLI, but dialog-driven)
which allow you to perform the tasks quickly and safely.

> There is a program called fatback in the ports collection but I haven't
> tried it. The tools on these forensic live-CDs are likely to be more
> powerful by a long way.

Most of the programs can be used from within FreeBSD. As I said,
there are many of those available for free. Some of them require
the user to _know_ what he does. The more complex the recovery
task is, the more knowledge is involved. GUIs are good to hide
this fact, and in worst case, you lose your data. Of course there
is no problem delegating the recovery task to a service center
for $$$. And sometimes, if you look close enough, you can see
that those are using the free tools. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany