Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:40:47 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        babbleon@mercury.interpath.com (Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hardware)
Subject:   Re: Zip II: the disktab entry

> To create a "real" (i.e. UFS) file system on a ZIP, here's a script I use
> that might help get you started.  make-ufs-zip.sh uses Darryl Okahata's
> (darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com) enhanced fdisk that allows the partition info
> to be specified via stdin.

     Unfortunately, not all of my fdisk changes made it into 2.2.  I
took out the "-f" option, as it duplicates functionality that's in
disklabel (in particular, if "-f" was left in, the nasty magic that
creates "dangerously dedicated disks" would be in two places, which
could cause maintenance problems).

     Fortunately, there's an easier way to create dedicated disks.
Instructions (old) have been appended to this message.  Note that the
following works for 2.2-current and later; I don't think it works for
2.1.5 or 2.1.6 or earlier.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

     If and only if all of the following are true:

* You're an intermediate- to expert-level user.  (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT
  DOING THE FOLLOWING IF YOU'RE A NOVICE USER!)

* You have a SCSI disk (IDE drives may work in the following, but I
  don't know).

* You want to dedicate the *ENTIRE* disk to FreeBSD.  This is
  *IMPORTANT*, as the following assumes that you really do want to
  dedicate the entire disk to FreeBSD (yes, *all* of it).  If you want
  to use even a teensy, tiny part of the disk for something else like
  MSDOS or Windows, you CANNOT use the following instructions.  Period.

* You have no data on the disk that you want to keep.

* You don't mind losing ALL DATA that is currently on the disk.

* You don't mind destroying any and all MSDOS or Windows 3.1/95/NT or
  any other information that is on the disk.

* You don't plan on using or sharing the disk with other operating
  systems (e.g., MSDOS or Windows).

* You want to partition the *ENTIRE* FreeBSD slice into a single FreeBSD
  filesystem.  (If this isn't true, you have to change the "newfs"
  command below.)

Then, the easiest way to add a dedicated disk is the following:

* First, determine the base disk name of the disk you want to
  add/dedicate (e.g., "sd1").

* Assuming that "sd1" really is correct, do the following (assuming
  Bourne shell /bin/sh syntax):

	# This won't work if you're using /bin/csh:
	d=sd1
	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/r$d count=2
	disklabel /dev/r$d | disklabel -B -R -r $d /dev/stdin
	# We only want one partition, so using slice 'c' should be fine:
	newfs /dev/r${d}c

  (Thanks to Bruce Evans for the procedure.)

You can then mount the drive via a command like:

	mount /dev/${d}c /mnt