Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:29:01 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native PPPoE broken (4.6-STABLE), RP-PPPoE working?!

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:53:32 -0700 (PDT), in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
wrote:
>> After spending a couple of hours getting it to compile, I
>> got Roaring Penguin (latest release) and pppd-3.11 compiled
>> and installed on my 4.6-STABLE (June 17) box, and connected
>> it just fine.  Speeds are exactly as expected, and there's
>> *no* slowness at all.
>
>define "slowness"?
Hi,

about 300 or 400 bytes per second (yes, bytes per second, not kBytes or
kbits)

>Does RP attach to 'ppp' or does it supply it's own?

I think Damian had to compile an update PPPd (3.11) to make it work

>> So it appears that the in-kernel PPPoE implementation is
>> broken, and Roaring Pengiun's is working?  (Or that the
>> new concentrator is breaking from the spec, and causing
>> problems with the in-kernel implementation...)
>
>This is my guess, I've seen this before..
>some manufacturers asssume that if it works with W95 they
>can stop testing and often thay make assumptions about the
>parts of the spec that they shouldn't....

Quite possibly.  The hard part to explain to the manufacture is that it
works with
Windows 95,98, XP, 2000, Linux and a Cisco 827.
It does not work with
=46reeBSD

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)