Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:40:34 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail/BIND problems in 4.2 (error 5.1.8 in sendmail)

Got a little weirdness going on with BIND and sendmail and I can't
figure out if the problem is with BIND or sendmail.
In the process of switching over a domain to have the DNS hosted
locally. When I try to enable the local DNS server to be authoritative,
sendmail starts denying relaying from the internal network with error
5.1.8 which states that the domain name of the sender could not be
found.
The domain name of the sender (according to the error message) is
correct. And by every test of the DNS server that I can try it appears
to be right. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (Jan 18), BIND 8.2.3-T6B (from ports) and
sendmail 8.11.1

Attached is my zone file for the domain. Can anyone see anything wrong
with it? All other lookups seem to work just fine except for this error
that sendmail keeps giving out. (snippet from errorlog attached as well)

Thanks,
Bill

<FILE TYPE=zone info>
;
; Setup for priority designs domain server

prioritydesigns.com.    IN      SOA     mail.prioritydesigns.com.
root.prioritydesigns.com.  (
                                2001020611      ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                700000  ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      mail
mail    IN      A       209.248.187.162
ftp     IN      A       209.248.187.162
www     IN      A       209.248.187.162
        IN      MX      50      mail.prioritydesigns.com.
</FILE>

<ERRORLOG FROM=/var/log/maillog>
Feb  6 19:35:52 mail sendmail[558]: f16JZqK00558: ruleset=check_mail,
arg1=<hjones@prioritydesigns.com>, relay=dhcp118.prioritydesigns.com
[10.0.0.118] (may be forged), reject=501 5.1.8
<hjones@prioritydesigns.com>... Domain of sender address
hjones@prioritydesigns.com does not exist
Feb  6 19:35:52 mail sendmail[558]: f16JZqK00558:
from=<hjones@prioritydesigns.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0,
proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=dhcp118.prioritydesigns.com [10.0.0.118]
(may be forged)
</ERRORLOG>