Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:24:13 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java...

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 07:10pm, Bill Huey wrote:

> "News"
>
> In that regard, I'm trying to transition out of JVM development and move
> into more traditional FreeBSD kernel side stuff, so we need a person
> that's capable of doing the work I've done and maintaining it across JVM
> revisions.
>
> I've already begun the process of leaving it to other folks in our group
> and refocusing my development effort to KSEs and SMPng.

This doesn't sound like good news to me.  (Good news for FreeBSD 5 though I
suppose).

How lean is the FreeBSD Java team right now?   Does this compromise the target
of FreeBSD shipping a Sun-approved JVM at all?   I think everyone would
probably love to know more about the people behind the project here.

Also I would like to know whether the JVM patchset releases are pretty much
frozen because of the work around KSEs.  I was hoping to see a more
aggressive patchset release schedule (I would have expected us to be at 8 or
9 by now) ... but it seems like we're just dealing with the status quo until
FreeBSD 5.0 ships.  (That's my rough perception of it)

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]