Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:02:35 -0600
From:      keyser@clio.rice.edu (Kevin Keyser)
To:        cs-tom@nich-nsunet.nich.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I Dump to tape?

> 1. I have an Python archive Scsi tape device that I am trying to get

Same here.

> Dump to work with. The device shows up as st0 under the DMESG,
> and I see the device nodes /dev/st0ctl.0 through /dev/st0ctl.3 in the
> /dev directory. What would my command be to dump all filesystems I
> have mounted. Currently /, /var, and /usr?

You should also see rst0, erst0, nrst0 in /dev; if not, do "MAKEDEV st0".
I would typically use something like "dump 0afu /dev/rst0 /" to dump /.
                                                     ^^^^
> 2. It seems that in my attempts to dump /, that my swapfile mount has
> filled. On a df my mount on / shows that I have used all of my inodes
> and capacity is at 109%. How do I fix this?

What dump command did you type?  This is just a guess: you gave
it /dev/st0 as the destination, there is no st0 in /dev, and so it
created an ordinary file by that name and filled it (and therefore
your root filesys) with what you intended to send to tape.  See also
the man page for st(4).

> HELP!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Kevin