Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:41:17 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Martin-Legene, Robert" <robert.martin-legene@intel.com>
Cc:        "'muditha@seychelles.net'" <muditha@seychelles.net>, list@inet-access.org, Freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pricing question?

[.....]
> When I worked for an ISP, a private subscriber could not be given
> a fixed IP. If you had a corporate dial-in you could get even blocks
> of IP##. Of course the price was noticably different. But private
> customers "doesn't need a fixed IP#" (yes, you may flame me now) ;-)

Ok :-)

IMHO everybody needs a static IP number.  I can't see any reason a =

corporate would need a static IP number when a private doesn't.

Of course the ``correct'' thing would be to have the NASs smart =

enough to allow the client to request the IP number that they had =

last time and allocate it if they can.  Currently, no NASs that I =

know of are smart enough to do this (except ppp(8) of course!).

With lots of different pieces of hardware, each of which has a =

different block of IP numbers to allocate, it becomes difficult from =

the NASs point of view, but this is the same thing that we're all =

faced with in an MP environment.  I think they should either just =

create the back-channel, or else people should put pressure on the =

telcos to make them get smarter and deal with this sort of stuff at =

their end (is that possible?  I don't know much about how much the =

telco does and how much the ISPs NAS does).

As a minimum, the NAS could *at least* dish out the same IP number if =

it's in the local block and is currently unused.  That way people =

with a dynamic IP can sometimes get lucky when they didn't mean to =

let their connection time out :-]

> -- Robert Martin-Leg=E8ne
>    The opinions expressed are only my own, and does not reflect
>    the opinions of Intel.

-- =

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>