Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:39:14 -0300
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: should su retain ${DISPLAY}

Me> The short version of my comment on DISPLAY and "su -" is that I'd
Me> usually prefer that it be there for me.  Since I don't get this
Me> behavior be default, I don't know about any times I'd prefer that it
Me> didn't happen.

Terry> I believe that allowing a root credentialed process to open a
Terry> window on an X termintal without going through the authentication
Terry> protocol once again (this time with the new credentials)
Terry> represents a probable security hole.

Maybe I'm being dense.  Anybody can point the DISPLAY variable wherever
they want.  Where is the connection (no pun intended) between passing
the DISPLAY variable and the authentication protocol?

And while I didn't say it originally, If I'm going to "su -" at all, I
usually do it to a non-root user (like when I run backups as the backup
user).