Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:19:10 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Espen Oyslebo <oys@powertech.no>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cd-paranoia

[ Please keep your line length to 75 characters or less. ]

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 21:19:15 -0500, Espen Oyslebo wrote:
> Anyone get cd-paranoia to work under free-bsd? I used to run linux, and cd-paranoia was imho by far the best cd `ripper' because it would extract excellent quality audio even from my sheiz-creative ide cd-rom drive. It's the only program I really miss after I `upgraded' to FreeBSD 4.2 stable a couple of weeks ago.
>
> If not, what is the `best' substitute under FreeBSD. Since programs are often hard to rate on a worst --> best scale, a nice summery of pros/cons of the different tools would be appreciated.

Well, since you've got an ATAPI CDROM drive, you'll probably need to use
ports/audio/dagrab.

If you had a SCSI CDROM drive, I'd recommend tosha or cdda2wav (comes with
cdrecord).

> One more thing whilst I've got your attention: Lame vs Blade (mp3 encoder)? And is there a significant quality improvement from 128 --> 192? how about 192 --> 256?

I'd suggest doing a few net searches or looking around on slashdot.  Check
out this article on slashdot in particular:

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org