Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:41:00 -0800
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AlphaPC post-install BOOT - how?

4.0 current (10/31/99) installed -- often.  That part runs to
conclusion.
AlphaPC 164 system w/ Diamond Fireport (Symbios) SCSI controller.  Brand
new IBM disk.

SRM console presents me with the expected >>>
I either get " ... unexpected '(' ...line n file tt " or "invalid
device"
The first happens when I attempt to boot 1:da(0,a) -file /kernel -flags
Or 2: when I plug the original IDE drive back in.

The old AlphaServer at work (OSF/1.3 i think) uses "rz0a" which didn't
work for me at home. I tried /mnt/dev/da0s1a and any combination of
possibilities I could think of.

I just reinstalled with the IDE drive plugged in, so the only SCSI drive
in the system with one big FreeBSD slice would be' boot 2:da0s1a ' or
something similar but I'm getting frustrated trying to figure it out.

Thanks,

Craig